[ltp] Jaunty on Thinkpad R51

Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:06:53 +0200

Hi,

> I checked my Xorg.log and both the RENDER extension and the open
> source radeon driver seem to load perfectly. The fglrx driver did not
> work, I read somewhere that they removed support for my card in some
> earlier version.

R51 on ubuntu with gnome desktop here.

Yes, the 7500 is not supported by fglrx and even the 9000 was dropped a
long time ago. The open source radeon driver works with this
minimalistic xorg:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier      "Default Screen"
         Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
         Device          "Configured Video Device"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Virtual 1024 768
         EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
         Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
EndSection

It autoselectes and loads the correct module/driver. i get a very
smooth 2d desktop and 3d games. But no 3D Compiz. Disable compiz
and everything is fine again.

> but I still
> wonder why X.org is by far the most active program on my processor
> (when browsing with firefox for some hours, Xorg used 200 minutes of
> cpu time, while firefox, usually pretty cpu heavy itself, is at 40
> minutes).

i get 4 min X after 6 hours working with a java IDE, opera, ...

cu