[ltp] Jaunty on Thinkpad R51

Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:13:51 +0300

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 06:14:01PM +0900, Lucas Bxxx wrote:
> sorry for taking so long to respond. Thanks for all the help.
>=20
> I checked my Xorg.log and both the RENDER extension and the open
> source radeon driver seem to load perfectly. The fglrx driver did not
> work, I read somewhere that they removed support for my card in some
> earlier version. The old versions will not work with my X.org version.

What video card do you have?  ThinkWiki says the R51 has either ATI
Mobility Radeon 7500 or 9000.

I had a T42 with Radeon 7500.  The performance with open-source drivers
was good enough to run Compiz.  I remember having to do some tweaks in
my xorg.conf (something about XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, IIRC) to get
acceptable performance at one time, but that was years ago.

> Maybe I'm expecting too much from Ubuntu.

9.04 was a release with known graphics performance issues, especially
for Intel video cards.  There's a beta version of the upcoming 9.10 out
there, you may want to try booting a LiveCD and checking if it fixes
your graphics problems.  The final release will be out at the end of
this month.

> Windows XP was significantly
> faster, but that might be just because the ATI drivers are that slow
> on Linux and X.org itself is usually slower than the Windows stuff. So
> it might be that what I'm experiencing is not unusual, but I still
> wonder why X.org is by far the most active program on my processor
> (when browsing with firefox for some hours, Xorg used 200 minutes of
> cpu time, while firefox, usually pretty cpu heavy itself, is at 40
> minutes). Displaying top keeps a nice cpu usage of 20% :).

This usually indicates lack of hardware acceleration.  It would help if
you sent a copy of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to the list.

> So, if
> noone will have another idea during the week I will have to switch
> back to Windows XP.
>=20
> Greets, Lucas
>=20
> PS: Actually I can even watch movies on this thing. Only some basic
> gui elements like scrolling are really slow. X.org/GTK at its best?

Worst, rather.  It's clearly a bug of some kind.

Show us your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and we'll try
to see if anything obvious is wrong.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Computo, ergo sum.