[ltp] Crashes on boot with new HD

Harold Pimentel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 10/6/09, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> From: Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [ltp] Crashes on boot with new HD
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2009, 7:41 PM
>

> Harold Pimentel wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I own a T61 and I recently installed a new hard
> drive.
>
> I suspect this isn't the problem. Once in Linux, use
> smartctl to double check that the drive is OK.
>

> > Sometimes when I boot into Ubuntu it crashes before
> the actual OS loads. I have no idea if it's the new drive,
> or maybe a bad installation of ubuntu and I'm not even sure
> how to diagnose it.
> >
> > If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate.
> Here is a photo of where it usually hangs:
> >
> > http://ecs.fullerton.edu/~pimentel/pics/laptoperr.jpg
> >

> Interesting that it is in the ACPI portion of the boot. I
> had trouble with that too (though in my case, it was a
> faulty motherboard).
>

> > Oh yeah, I don't have an issue with Windows 7 at all.
>
> So *probably* not dodgy hardware.

Honestly if anything I expect the drive to be bad, as the old drive had no problems for about a year and a half. the only reason I swapped was for more storage space.

> Does this happen almost every time you boot Linux or just
> rarely?
>
> Can you see any pattern to it?

It happens very often. I would say about 60-70% of the time. I've noticed that it usually does so when I restart after being on for a few minutes and being "warmed up."

> When it crashes, do you have to power-cycle the machine, or
> does it respond to, say, Alt-Sysrq-{R,S,E,I,U,B}?

I usually power cycle the machine. I haven't tried any of those key combinations, only CTRL-ALT-DEL

> Which Ubuntu version are you using? Could you try out
> another one? (the easiest way is to boot the live
> environment from a USB key; unetbootin
> makes this very easy.)

It's on ubuntu 9.04. I tried loading kubuntu 9.04 live cd earlier and I it gave me a pnpbios error, so I reboot with pnpbios=off and it started fine.

The new drive is a 7200 RPM, and the only a 5400rpm. This sounds like a rather ludicrous question, but could that be an issue?

I am currently running spinrite on the entire disk to see if there are errors (I already ran fsck and found none). it says it will be done in about 20 hours :X

For now I put the old drive in and haven't seen any issues yet..

Thanks,

Harold