[ltp] Crashes on boot with new HD

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:12:40 +1100

At 04:43 AM 10/10/2009, Harold Pimentel wrote:
>Helen Hi Helen, Thanks for the response. I've tried both AHCI and combined setting and no success =\ Is it worth calling a lenovo tech about this or are they clueless about linux? Thanks, Harold
>--

Ooooh, I don't think it would be possible to say all Lenovo techs are clueless about Linux.  I've had all positive experiences with the ones operating out of Sydney, Australia.  If they don't know an answer straight-off, they'll move your ticket to someone who does.  In my experience, if your TP is under warranty and you are using "approved" hardware, they will move mountains to get things right for you.  Mileage may vary according to location, of course.

Don't forget the Lenovo forums, either.  Lenovo techs, as well as clued-up users, watch those. There are huge archives and scads of active users who might already have bumped into a similar issue to yours.  From what I've seen, this list is triple-A for very specifically Linux issues and carries know-how to the lowest levels of numerous kernel versions and implementations...not something I think you can find in any of the Lenovo forums.  But when you don't know whether you have a hardware issue or a driver one, it does no harm to fly a kite in one of those other forums.

Actually, I thought of something else.  If you are using a HDD that has a jumper panel on it, try setting it for SATA I.  I read somewhere that the system bios on the T-series doesn't support SATA II.  I've often wondered why some SATA drives have the jumper option while others don't.  My 250GB 7200rpm Hitachi doesn't have the jumpers, btw, from which I infer that the drive's own ROM has the nouse to figure out how to play nice the system bios.  (In case it's not obvious, everything I know about hardware has been learnt by osmosis! )

Helen