[ltp] Dial Modem use with T20 Thinkpad

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:59:20 +1300

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 05:08:26 Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> A friend has a functional T20 running Win 2K, and would like to install
> Linux. However, for one remote vacation spot, he must use dial modem
> for internet access.
>
> My recollection is the internal modem is a "winmodem" and will be
> "no worky" with Ubuntu. Is that correct?
>
> If so, what plug-in modem (USB or serial) is recommended for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance
> ---
> Ron K. Jeffries
> rjeffries@gmail.com

Well, on my A20m with Debian I used a Dick Smith 56k PCMCIA card.    Dick
Smith are usually just some other manufacture relabelled (for example the
Dick Smith wifi card i'm using right now is just a TP-link 510G relabelled).
Before that I was using a 33k Xircom, IIRC.    I'd say almost any PCMCIA
modem should work OK.

cr