[ltp] Re: New hard drive for T61

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:07:59 -0400

> 1) My dim understanding is that Lenovo did something in the BIOS so
> that only hard drives bought from them will work. However, I think that
> is not entirely correct.

Your info is incorrect.  There is no such problem for the T61
(those problems only really affect the T43).  Any SATA 2,5" drive
should work fine.

> 2) I understand that my T61 has a SATA-2 controller, but Lenovo
> throttled it to no more than 100 Mb/s. Hence, there is no point in
> getting a faster hard disk. Yet there may be other issues that would
> make disk access faster. If possible, I would like as fast a disk as
> possible, given the controller situation.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Even with a 100MB/s limit, you'll probably
get most (if not all) of the performance increase a faster drive can
bring you (whether SSD or not).

        Stefan