[ltp] t42 archlinux fan noise

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:59:33 +0000

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:38 +0100, Arian Kuschki wrote:
> >You should also use hpet=force in /boot/grub/menu.lst which helps keeping the
> >CPU idle.
>
> The thinkwiki says to use lspci to check for an ICH5 chipset. According
> to the wiki
>
> >The ICH4 does have an HPET, but it is disabled for a good reason: Intel
> >didn't test/validade it! Use of the ICH4 HPET is not recommended
>
> a ~$ lspci | grep -i intel

[--snip--]

> It does not specify anything for the processor, but several other
> components seem to be ICH4. I assume this means I should not try
> hpet=force? Then again a couple of lines further down, it says:
>
> On modern ThinkPads the HPET timer is automatically detected and
> enabled. On certain older machines hpet=force is required such as on the
> following machines:
> T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42
>
> Which one is the right statement then?

Technically they're both right.  While it's true that Intel doesn't
officially support HPET on the ICH4, the chips themselves do indeed
support it.  I've never heard of anyone losing data due to it, and I
myself have been running my X40 with that option for several months with
nary a problem.  If you're really concerned about it you can skip it,
but it generally seems to be a fairly safe, albeit "unsupported" option.

-Rob