[ltp] long time to hibernate

Tue, 1 Sep 2009 18:36:25 +0300

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 01:53:04PM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric Boiteux wrote:
>   I've a Thinkpad X31 with a Debian Lenny installed ;
> The suspend/hibernate process works well (so nice !), but I=A0notice that
> when I've done multiple hibernate/wakeup cycles, it takes a lot of
> time between hibernation request and system image written to disk : the
> computer changes X screen to vt, printing something like 'Snapshotting
> system', the 'moon' led is blinking, but sometimes, it takes some dozen
> of seconds, even some minutes, before it says that the system is ready
> to write image to disk !
>   Is it a normal behaviour ?

AFAIU it is.  The system is waiting for all user processes to stop
running, then freeing up memory (in-kernel hibernation requires 50% of
RAM to be free; which is why when you resume from hibernation your OS is
slow as molasses with everything swapped out to disk), then copying the
up to 50% memory that's still being used into the free 50%, and only
then writing out that copy to disk.

> If so, is there something I can do to
> reduce this time ? It's sometime problematic to not know in how much
> time the computer will shut off=85

That's why I never use hibernation.  (Once I waited 45 minutes!)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Suppose you went back to Ada Lovelace and asked her the difference between a
script and a program. She'd probably look at you funny, then say something
like: Well, a script is what you give the actors, but a program is what you
give the audience.
                -- Larry Wall

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--