[ltp] long time to hibernate

Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:14:21 +0300

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:33:56AM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric Boiteux wrote:
> Thanks Marius for your explanation about hibernation process.

I'd have loved to add a link to the blog post I retold from memory
(probably introducing errors in the process), but I was unable to find
it.  It may have been on Matthew Garrett's blog.  This post (and the
presentation linked from it) may or may not have been it:
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/81535.html

> I like yet to use it, to get back my old session, with for example web
> pages available to read when I'm in travel with no network.=20

What about regular suspend-to-RAM then?  It's fast.  The laptop does use
a bit of power while suspeneded, but it's little enough so that the battery
charge lasts for a day or two.

> I wonder if running 'sync' or cleaning cache with :
> echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
> could speed up the process ?

You could try, but I doubt it.  I think it's what the kernel already
does, in the first phase of suspend-to-disk.

> Le Tue, 1 Sep 2009 19:59:20 +0200,
> Damien Challet <dchallet@onetel.com> a =E9crit :
>=20
> > Try to use suspend2 or tuxonice. It is by far the fastest way to
> > hibernate. Even on a 600e with about 300Mb ram it takes about 30
> > seconds.

The speed of hibernation is directly proportional to the amount of RAM
you have.  300 MB of RAM is very little these days.

> > And after waking up, the system does not crawl at all.
>=20
> I've heard about tuxonice, but don't tried yet (using stock kernels
> from Debian is so easy). I'll test it !

I've heard that TuxOnIce is making suspend-to-disk fast and pretty, but
I've never tried it.  (There must be a reason it's not included in the
standard kernel, and I'm a cautious person, with paranoid tendencies.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
The last good thing written in C was Franz Schubert's Symphony #9.
        -- Erwin Dietrich

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY--