[ltp] long time to hibernate

Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:05:23 +0300

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 02:33:39PM +0200, Fr=E9d=E9ric Boiteux wrote:
> Le Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:14:21 +0300,
> Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as> a =E9crit :
> > What about regular suspend-to-RAM then?  It's fast.  The laptop does
> > use a bit of power while suspeneded, but it's little enough so that
> > the battery charge lasts for a day or two.
> Sure, but I can use it from day to day, and I have an old battery with
> almost half of the full capacity=85 so I fear to go out of battery.

If it does, it's no worse than a software crash that forces you to
reboot.  I've had more session losses due to trying hibernation after
I've upgraded my kernel (and forgot to reboot).  It may be prudent to
make sure your distro's suspend scripts have a 'sync' in them.

You can use the script at thinkwiki to determine how much power your
laptop uses while suspended.  Divide the "last full capactity"
information from /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info by this number and you'll
know for how long you can safely keep your laptop suspended.  The script
I mentioned is here:

  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_sleep_power_drain_test_script

(When I was younger and more naive, I'd no clue that suspend used any
power at all.  I used to be very surprised when I'd discover my laptop
powered off after I left it suspended for the weekend.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
When we say we want readable code, we don't mean we want to sit in a
comfortable chair and page through a Java-saga.
    --- http://www.wordaligned.org/articles/pitching-python-in-three-syllab=
les

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k--