[ltp] Still having problem with thinkpad-acpi's BEEP and kernel > 2.6.30

kionez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:47:12 +0200

Hi all,

today I try to build a brand new kernel 2.6.31, from gentoo ebuild.
I'm still having problems with BEEP generated by proc interface of
thinkpad_acpi, such the ones with .30 series wich I reported some weeks ago.

With 2.6.29 kernel everything works fine, sounds and beep are what you
can expect from internal speakers but if I use a .30 or .31 kernel the
beeps went away, without any reason.

The volumes are ok, bios, configurations, drivers, mixers and so on are
the same I'm using with .29..

with 2.6.29 if I do a:
# for i in `seq 0 17` ; do echo $i >/proc/acpi/ibm/beep; sleep 1;  done
I hear beeps, as usal ( and for example, if i unplug the power chord, it
sounds.. as ever..)

If i do that on .30 or .31, it doesn't sound. Nothing comes out from
internal speakers (or headphones).

The default beep (for example, when bash autocompletion as many options)
is present, only if enable CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP.

I also try to add, remove, switch, mix and everything i can do
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR, CONFIG_SND_PCSP and the HDA_INPUT_BEEP
(I compile the kernel about 20times in two hours..)

I read everything i can found with google, seems that are many users
that have issues like this, but nobody say if it was resolved or some
like that...

So, is there anyone with kernel > 2.6.29.x with beep working? if yes,
coul'd you send me your kernel config and alsa config?

Is there some test that i can do to debug this strange situation? (is
pretty annoying..)

Thanks in advance.

k.

PS: nothing is changed from: