[ltp] Still having problem with thinkpad-acpi's BEEP and kernel > 2.6.30

Kevin Locke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:35:33 -0600

Hello,

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 17:47 +0200, kionez wrote:
> I'm still having problems with BEEP generated by proc interface of
> thinkpad_acpi, such the ones with .30 series wich I reported some weeks ago.
>
> With 2.6.29 kernel everything works fine, sounds and beep are what you
> can expect from internal speakers but if I use a .30 or .31 kernel the
> beeps went away, without any reason.

I can confirm this behavior.  I did some bisecting last weekend to
investigate why I lost the beep on my TP (before I noticed the new
beep mixer control... doh!) and tracked it down to the patches around
Feb. 6, particularly c5a4bcd0.  My guess is that the new handling of
beeps ("digital" instead of "analog" to use the patch terminology)
caused the (presumably "analog") beeps generated by the ACPI methods
to not generate any sound output.

I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about the PC speaker system,
so I can't suggest a good fix (other than using the new "digital" beep
instead - e.g. with beep(1)).  If the analog beeps are really
important to you, it should be possible to work out a patch which
would allow you to choose your preferred beep type (either at config
or runtime), but I don't yet know enough about it to suggest how.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Kevin