[ltp] Spyware - my Intrepid under attack?

Andrea Levin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:49:42 -0400

--00c09f9b075a4c9a15047365e5f5

I am pretty new to Ubuntu (Intrepid), finding my way around, practicing
clumsily with the command line,reading Keir Thomas...and I may have been
complacent about the risk of spyware. I hadn't even installed Mozilla
NoScript (till a minute ago!). I've updated faithfully when prompted.

On Firefox a half hour ago, I noticed things a bit...slow. Then a bit
'freezy'.  First attributed this to the measly RAM quotient on this 2003
Dell 5100 (which I believe is 256 megs. Still not sure where to find system
info - that's how new I am!) A Firefox update process  required restart of
FF, and so I thought it might have been the resource demands of this
process. All of a sudden - a classic sense of 'takeover': suddenly, my
monitor looks like a Windows machine, showing me my 'My Computer', 'C
drive', 'My Documents', etc, all tagged with red warnings, a pop-up tells me
I am under attack, do run-don't-walk to this antivirus site, etc. In my
panic (I don't yet know the equivalent of CTRL-ALT-DEL) I pulled the plug
and the battery to abort.

I had ... downloaded a spreadsheet from the New York Times site on costing
out home-buying.  Uh-oh! (Actually, I'd assumed I was about to simply open a
new tab, not download a document.)  Deleted this at the terminal.

So: how to scan for spyware, viruses? Or: is this necessary? How would I
know I'm infected?  Etc.!

Usually I check forums before posting threads - but I'm pretty rattled!
I use ESET Nod32 on my Windoze machines.

Thanks in advance!

--
This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity

--00c09f9b075a4c9a15047365e5f5

I am pretty new to Ubuntu (Intrepid), finding my way around, practicing clu=
msily with the command line,reading Keir Thomas...and I may have been compl=
acent about the risk of spyware. I hadn't even installed Mozilla NoScri=
pt (till a minute ago!). I&#39;ve updated faithfully when prompted. <br>
#39;freezy&#39;.=A0 First attributed this to the measly RAM quotient on thi=
s 2003 Dell 5100 (which I believe is 256 megs. Still not sure where to find=
 system info - that&#39;s how new I am!) A Firefox update process=A0 requir=
ed restart of FF, and so I thought it might have been the resource demands =
of this process. All of a sudden - a classic sense of &#39;takeover&#39;: s=
uddenly, my monitor looks like a Windows machine, showing me my &#39;My Com=
puter&#39;, &#39;C drive&#39;, &#39;My Documents&#39;, etc, all tagged with=
 red warnings, a pop-up tells me I am under attack, do run-don&#39;t-walk t=
o this antivirus site, etc. In my panic (I don&#39;t yet know the equivalen=
t of CTRL-ALT-DEL) I pulled the plug and the battery to abort.<br>
ing out home-buying.=A0 Uh-oh! (Actually, I&#39;d assumed I was about to si=
mply open a new tab, not download a document.)=A0 Deleted this at the termi=
nal.<br>
I know I&#39;m infected?=A0 Etc.!<br><br>Usually I check forums before post=
ing threads - but I&#39;m pretty rattled!<br>I use ESET Nod32 on my Windoze=
 machines.=A0 <br>
 transmitted with it may be confidential and legally privileged. They are i=
ntended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are add=
ressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender =
by return email immediately, and then delete and destroy this message and i=
ts<br>
attachments.<br>

--00c09f9b075a4c9a15047365e5f5--