[ltp] Spyware - my Intrepid under attack?

Florian Weimer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:43:51 +0000

* Andrea Levin:

> Whew, and thanks so much for the reassuring and informative replies - and
> indeed, The Thing looked exactly likeTthe Thing on the link at
> http://likuidkewl.blogspot.com/2009/05/oh-no-windows-viruses-on-my-linux-box.html.
> Now that I've caught my breath, I can see it was one of those rogue security
> software things.  And still wondering exactly how it came in.

Here's some background information:

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/14/nyt_scareware_ad_hack/>

You can install NoScript (from the mozilla-noscript Ubuntu package,
I'd assume) to stop most such ads.  Some web sites will break, but you
still can right-click and enable Javascript for them if necessary.