[ltp] Re: Re: How to handle Fn-F5 and other special keys with latest kernels ?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:57:54 -0400

> Interesting.  Now here comes the next question: what if "rfkill" is
> not
> the action I want to take?
> In the past I've seen several cases where I wanted to do more than
> just
> rfkill:
> - my wifi driver doesn't implement the rfkill functionality.
> - killing the RF doesn't kill the relevant daemon such as
>   wpa-supplicant.
> - unkilling the RF doesn't restart the relevant daemon.
>

>         Stefan

I did something similar by catching the relevant ACPI events and writing
a handler script which handles everything.  (I never could get rfkill
working reliably, so this was the next best option.)

For me (ThinkPad X61s), the ACPI events I had to handle were:

ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001005
	generated when I pressed Fn-F5
ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00007000
	generated when I flipped the killswitch on the case.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Rob