[ltp] How much performance improvement going from 32-bit to 64-bit linux?

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:15:27 +0200

--0016e6db2c9587d9180473d4e5fa

The same for me. I noticed NO improvement on performance. However I started
having a whole new category of problems. No Flash, problems with certain
software, no Firefox, having to run incompatible apps in chroot jails,
automatic system updates which every time need some attention because you
always need to manually tweak something etc. Just imagine having nVidia or
ATI drivers and having to recompile and re-re everything every time there's
a tiny update to Xorg or some other related component. It's not worth it if
you don't absolutely need it. If you need to use more memory than 3GB use a
"bigmem" kernel .
/adrian

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Andrew Mason <slackmase2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running 64bit now and the _noticeable_ performance improvements
> for me are none. I am sure they are there...i just can't see them =3D) .
> Haven't run in to any issues yet either although i don't run
> proprietary software either so YMMV.
>

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM, portsample <portsample@blepsias.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've recently upgraded to a T60 running a Core 2 Duo T7600 Mobile
> > Processor (2.33 ghz), lots of RAM and a 7200rpm HD. I am currently
> > running openSuse 11.1, 32-bit.
> >
> > I am thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.2 when it is released
> > in November.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with moving from 32-bit linux OS to
> > 64-bit?
> >
> > What kind of performance increase will I see?
> >
> > What kind of problems will I have?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --

--=20
V=C3=A4nliga h=C3=A4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--0016e6db2c9587d9180473d4e5fa

The same for me. I noticed NO improvement on performance. However I started=
 having a whole new category of problems. No Flash, problems with certain s=
oftware, no Firefox, having to run incompatible apps in chroot jails, autom=
atic system updates which every time need some attention because you always=
 need to manually tweak something etc. Just imagine having nVidia or ATI dr=
ivers and having to recompile and re-re everything every time there&#39;s a=
 tiny update to Xorg or some other related component. It&#39;s not worth it=
 if you don&#39;t absolutely need it. If you need to use more memory than 3=
GB use a &quot;bigmem&quot; kernel . <br>
Andrew Mason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:slackmase2@gmail.com">=
ote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0p=
t 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
I&#39;m running 64bit now and the _noticeable_ performance improvements<br>
for me are none. I am sure they are there...i just can&#39;t see them =3D) =
.<br>
Haven&#39;t run in to any issues yet either although i don&#39;t run<br>
proprietary software either so YMMV.<br>
On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM, portsample &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:portsampl=
e@blepsias.net">portsample@blepsias.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hey all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve recently upgraded to a T60 running a Core 2 Duo T7600 Mobile<=
br>
&gt; Processor (2.33 ghz), lots of RAM and a 7200rpm HD. I am currently<br>
&gt; running openSuse 11.1, 32-bit.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I am thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.2 when it is release=
d<br>
&gt; in November.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Does anyone have any experience with moving from 32-bit linux OS to<br=

&gt; 64-bit?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What kind of performance increase will I see?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What kind of problems will I have?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-th=
inkpad" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinf=
o/linux-thinkpad</a><br>
&gt;<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>