[ltp] How much performance improvement going from 32-bit to 64-bit linux?

Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:24:32 +0200

Hi,

>> With typical home or office use, I don't expect the 4 GB limit to matter
>> for an individual application  -  large servers would be a different
>> thing.
>
> I the general case, yes, 64 bits means bigger pointers and storage
> increase. But in the i386 -> x86_64 switch, that means passing from 8 to
> 16 general registers (which are bigger too)

It means 8 more visible registers. In 32 bit mode the new registers are
hidden and used for register remapping. There is no gain in make more
registers visible unless the compiler is really, really clever.

cu