[ltp] How much performance improvement going from 32-bit to 64-bit linux?

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:22:24 +0200

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

Joerg Bruehe:

> *If* you do the switch, a report might be interesting.

I=E2=80=99m running a 64-bit Ubuntu Jaunty and everything (including 64-bit
Flash 10) works. I=E2=80=99m running it mostly for the sake of Ruby perform=
ance
=E2=80=93 the Fixnum class (mapped to the arch=E2=80=99s int) goes up to 2^=
62-1, rather
than just up to 2^30-1, which maps to performance increase in my PhD
code (I know I should be using FFI or Inline C or Ruby2C in performance
bottlenecks, but I haven=E2=80=99t gotten there yet).

Also, OGG encoding feels faster (but I haven=E2=80=99t done any real testin=
g).

=E2=80=94 Shot
--=20
If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if
you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62--