[ltp] Linux on T61 vs Linux on T400...

Bibek Paudel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:39:59 +0545

I hope I am replying to the correct thread. i didn't want to start a
new thread for something similar.

I am facing a few problems with my T400 using Ubuntu 9.04. I
accidentally damaged the Windows partition (and that somehow rendered
the ThinkVantage button useless, more on that here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=405381), so I am yet
to recover the machine to its original state and then install
Debian+Ubuntu+Vista.

Specs: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 6MB L2 Cache, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, 256 MB
AMD HYBRID GPU, 11B/G WLAN, 9-cell Battery

My problems:
1. Earlier, the battery power indicator used to show more than 4 hours
remaining for a 100% charged battery. Recently, I've noticed that it
shows about 2.4 hours. There's no difference even after I switch off
wireless, bluetooth etc. and reduce screen brightness. Is this a
problem with the indicator, and if it is, what is a better tool to
estimate battery power? If not, what might be the problem?

2. Not that I need to use it all the time, but when I enable Compiz
Desktop effects, the computer reaction time seems to slow down. When a
minimized application is selected, it pauses a while before coming to
focus. When a song is playing, the song pauses too for a while, while
Compiz is enabled and another window is brought to focus. I don't
understand why this is happening. Also, while I play movies in VLC,
after about every 15 minutes, the video freezes for a few seconds
(like 5) and then continues afterwhile. This happens with every video.

Is it some problem with the video driver or something else?

3. How do I use the HDAPS module for hard-disk protection?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bibek

--
Disclaimer:
By sending an email to any of my addresses you are agreeing that: