[ltp] Re: Slightly off-topic: different wattage

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 09:54:15 -0400

Axel Braun wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>

>>> The 90 W / 20 V AC adapter that came with my T60 recently broke - what
>>> are the drawbacks of using a 65 W / 20 V one instead (we have a spare
>>> one of those at work)? Is charging going to take substantially longer?
>>>

>> A 90W adapter was provided because it was expected it's capacity would
>> be needed.  A 65W adapter would not be sufficient.
>>

> Well...my Z60m was delivered with a 90W adapter, but for travel purposes I
> have a 65W adapter as well. It gets slightly hotter, but does the job.

When a company designs hardware, they have to allow for extremes
conditions and to provide a bit of a margin.  While that 65W adapter may
work most of the time, there may still be problems.  For example, with
that adapter running hotter, you've increased the risk of component
failure.  There is a reason for the increase in adapter ratings a few
years back and you can be sure it wasn't the companies being generous.