[ltp] Re: QUESTION: HAL support for some T42 keys?

Guarded Identity linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:00:05 -0500

Excerpts from Sukant Hajra's message of Tue Sep 22 19:51:12 -0500 2009:
> Hi,
>
> I ran lshal -m, and I get a response for /almost/ all the fancy Thinkpad keys
> on my T42.  However, there's some keys that only tpb recognizes, namely:
>
>     - volume up, down, and mute
>
>     - brightness up and down
>
>     - thinkpad light
>
> In fact, I noticed that there there's no keys that both HAL /and/ tpb get
> events for; it's either one or the other.
>
> Just curious what people's thoughts were on this.  In the meantime, I'm
> probably going to run a combination of halevt and tpb to get all the
> functionality I'm looking for.  But I'd rather get everything I need with
> halevt and drop tpb if I can.
>
> -Sukant

Okay, I think I might have figured out what I need to do.  I just modified my
/etc/modprobe.d configuration with the following line:

    options thinkpad_acpi hotkey=enable,0x00ffffff

and now HAL is seeing all the buttons, which means I can retire tpb.

Sound like a sane way to go?  Any comments?

-Sukant