[ltp] Howto select and purchase upgrade for UMTS option on X61?

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:04:54 +0100

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 12:56 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Jan Girlich wrote:
>
> >What I found out so far:
> >- I got to buy and install a WWAN card, antenna and antenna cables. I
> >found instructions on how to install those in the Maintenance Manual.
> >- I need to remove the simlock if I want to use it with another provider
> >than vodafone. I saw the instructions on how to do that on thinkwiki.org
>
> I bought an unlocked Sierra Wireless Aircard 875 pcmcia card (for
> CAD100 on ebay) that worked fine in Germany on my X61s (using some pay
> as you go provider fronted by Aldi). So that's another option.  The
> built in antenna is probably not as good as the one in the thinkpad,
> but when I was somewhere with really weak 3G (Magdeburg), I plugged an
> external antenna ($15, also from ebay) in, and that helped.

Same.  Linux support for this card is excellent, and if you're in the US
you can get one for $30-40 on eBay.

I too was considering going with built-in 3G, but opted for the AirCard
875 due to the cost.

-Rob