[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #2599 - 1 msg

Chris Penn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 15:14:37 -0500

Looks aren't everything.  You may think that Lenovo's machines look or
feel cheaper, but at least some of the models are every bit as
well-engineered (if not better) than IBM's ThinkPads were.

So far that is only your opinion.

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Robert Tomsick <robert@tomsick.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:14 +0200, Ralph Spitzner wrote:
>

>> I'm not going to stick this into a base64 decoder, however
>> a friend of mine recently visited me carrying a
>> 'lenovo thinkpad'
>>
>> even the hinges are made of plastic nowadays.
>>
>> It hs a Fingrprint reader, though.
>> (which of course only works with Vista :-P )
>>
>> I just don't get it why on earth IBM abandoned manufacturing thinkpads
>> in the first place, they should at least foresee the manufacturing
>> proccess in terms of quality....
>
> The only ThinkPads for which that might be the case are some of the SL
> series or maybe the X100e/Edge -- I can't recall whether or not they do.
> The T series and X20x/X30x certainly have metal hinges, as do the R and
> W series.
>
> I can, however, comment on the general theme (i.e. that Lenovo ThinkPads
> are inferior): it's rubbish. =A0I've got an X60s, X61s, and a T500. =A0Up
> until very recently I also owned a X200 and an X40. =A0The X40 was
> designed and built by IBM (produced before the sale, thus a
> "thoroughbred" IBM machine). =A0The X60s was produced right after the
> changeover (designed almost entirely by IBM engineers, built by Lenovo
> shortly after they took ownership of the division), the X200s and T500
> were entirely designed and built by Lenovo. =A0The T500 and X200s "feel"
> cheaper than the X40. =A0They're also considerably stronger, and better
> engineered machines. =A0The X40 had a delicate screen and developed wobbl=
> hinges despite gentle use. =A0The X200s had a very flexible-looking
> screen, but was able to survive being stepped on without even so much as
> a pressure mark.
>
> Looks aren't everything. =A0You may think that Lenovo's machines look or
> feel cheaper, but at least some of the models are every bit as
> well-engineered (if not better) than IBM's ThinkPads were.
>
> -Rob

--=20
"As we open our newspapers or watch our television screens, we seem to
be continually assaulted by the fruits of Mankind's stupidity."
 -Roger Penrose