[ltp] Weird CPU fan problem on T400, any help appreciated.

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:18:39 -0300

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Mark Altern wrote:
> by the way: I have two exactly same T400, this one has this problem
> while the other is not.
> And I tried powertop, and I don't see anything useful when comparing
> its outputs from the two T400. But finally, I seem to solve this
> problem by the following method:
>
> turn off the computer, unplug it and remove the battery. Wait a few
> minute and push power butter a few times to make sure there is no
> power at all.
>
> Them assemble the battery and power cord, and turn on the Wired Fan
> problem is gone.

Well, you have tracked it to a problem in the EC running state.  You just
described what it takes to reset the EC in the newer ThinkPads.  Are both
thinkpads using the latest BIOS and EC firmware available?

If they are, contact Lenovo suport, because they're the only ones who can
fix this... otherwise, I suggest you upgrade to the latest EC firmware.

  Henrique Holschuh