[ltp] Weird CPU fan problem on T400, any help appreciated.

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:28:50 +0100

On 18 August 2010 02:15, Mark Altern <mark.altern@gmail.com> wrote:
> Holy Crap, the problems come back again, and now I have a sure way to
> replicate it. I thought I fixed it, and the CPU fan has been responded
> well w.r.t flash playing, meaning speed up and down according CPU
> temp, but NOT well with respect to HD video! Here is how to replicate
> the problem:
>
> Open a 1080 HD video with Totem in Ubuntu (Lucid), after playing it
> for a while you find the fan stuck at around 2832rmp, and will NOT
> slow down even if you close everything and wait to see the CPU temp
> drop to 35C!
>
> Then after this, the fan will also NOT responded well w.r.t Flash again!!
>
> Guys, can you try the method and tell me the same problems happen to
> you or not?
> Thanks a lot.
> --

Hi Mark, as said previously I don't have the same problem in my T400.

Have you tried using the latest BIOS? I have v3.12.

Something that might help: earlier this summer my T400 was heating up
to 60C idle (it was almost 40C air temperature), so I decided to open
it and replace the thermal compound with some high quality artic
silver. My idle temps have gone down by at least 8C just because of
that.

Regards,
Pedro