[ltp] External projector flicker issues

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:47:53 -0600

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 03:56:20PM -0400, rick@rickandpatty.com wrote:
> > I have a thinkpad X40 with Fedora 12. Connecting an external projector
> > turns into a disaster, with lots of flicker, making it unusable. I
> > searched for solutions, but found none that worked for me (there were
> > very few). I have the Intel 855GM Chipset.
>
> How are you activating the external display?  On my X41 tablet, I use
>
> xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024x768 --auto --same-as LVDS1
>
>  ... which works for the projectors I use to teach.
>
> Fn-F7 is a bit more ... unpredictable.

I typically use the display settings applet and switch to mirror
screens.  I tried your approach - and it crashed my laptop. I traced
the crash to the --auto option and removed it. The command enables
mirroring, but the flicker remains.. :-(

I guess there are important differences between the x40 and the x41.

Christos.