[ltp] Low power SSDs (was: sensors)

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:12:35 -0500

> You should try to get a X61s, lock it to its lowest performance modes, and
> switch the HDD for a low-thermal-output SSD.  And get your studio's

That reminds me: I've looked for low-power SSDs in the past, but was
frustrated to see that all the 2.5" SSDs I could find were aiming for
"top performance" and only compared their power usage to 3.5" HDDs:
compared to 2.5" HDDs they weren't much lower power (they were very
much faster, of course), since they all tend to consume around 2W
while active.

Does someone have recommendations for low-power 2.5" SSDs, where
performance is not the main sticking point (tho stutter is clearly
a deal breaker) but power consumption is?
The Corsair S128 (actually a Samsung drive) was really good in this
respect (0.5W while active), but that line was discontinued for
some reason.

        Stefan