[ltp] 0.85v

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:01:47 +0100

On Sunday 19 December 2010 16:21:12 ~D wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a attempt to get my Thinkpad T61 as silent as possible, I saw this
> thread:
>
> http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47780
>
> They are discussing 0.85v vs 0.90v(default?). Is this possible on Linux?
> What does it do exactly? Is it recommended/ safe?
>

> ~D
>
> (from The Netherlands)

Recommended is what the manufacturer sets, so lowering that is obviously not
recommended. A normal diode needs ~0,7v, so this is kind of the hard lower
boundary, as every piece of semiconductor circutry relies on the mechanics of
a diode. Depending on the quality of your cpu now it might be possible to set
lower voltages, but the system might very well become instable.

Cheers,
Karsten