[ltp] Aggressive Powersaving

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:16:32 +0100

Heya,

the new kernels really brought down the power consumption and I am interested
in getting it a little bit further, on the road I don't use my DVD drive nor
ExpressCard nor USB nor Firewire nor Touchpad, is there a way to cleany cut
the power to these devices/buses?

I don't know about VGA and modem, but I think they aren't that easy accessible
because they are part of the graphics driver and alsa (it does drive the
winmodem right?)

Or is there nothing to gain? I noticed pulling out the dvd drive was ~0.5W
less, so I take it getting the other stuff offline might be nice too.

I don't mind echos to some sysfs file, the simpler the better, I just want to
make a small script which I can run as root to just get power down
aggressivly.

Thanks for your ideas,
Karsten