[ltp] Re: tp_smapi won't load after kernel upgrade 2.6.31.12

Jonathan Pritchard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:00:04 +0000

On 09/02/10 14:24, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Jonathan Pritchard schrieb am 09.02.2010 13:43:
>
>> On 08/02/10 10:11, tino.keitel@tikei.de wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 02:03:02 +0000, Jonathan Pritchard wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>>> My X61s forgets the battery charge start threshold if I remove the
>>> battery and the power cable.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tino
>>
>> I've already tried taking out the battery and replacing it, it didn't
>> reset.
>
> Did you remove the battery and disconnect from AC *at the same time*?
>
>> Perhaps I've already configured tp_smapi to enforce my values on
>> reboot. However since tp_smapi isn't working it shouldn't be doing this
>> correct?
>
> AFAIK the configuration is stored in EC. Once stored it stays there
> until (a working) tp_smapi overwrites the settings or your TP is
> disconnected from power (battery removed and AC disconnected at the
> same time).
>
>> As for recompiling for my kernel I have to say I've never done this in
>> my life. I've been using an akmod for Fedora 11 located here
>> (http://izhar.fedorapeople.org/tp_smapi-kmod/) and I'm really trying to
>> figure out why the akmod went wrong in this particular kernel version. I
>> don't want to have to keep recompiling it every time I upgrade my
>> kernel, especially if there is another solution (the akmod).
>>
>> So really this question is about finding out why the akmod went wrong
>> and how to resolve it, given the error output.
>>
>> Thanks for all the help so far.
>
> I never heard of akmod and don't know how it works (it seems to be
> similar to dkms). But first of all I'd try to figure out if there's
> anything wrong without akmod. Therefore try to compile tp_smapi for
> your kernel. tp_smapi ships with a README that explains how to build
> the module on your own. It's not hard.
>
> Best
> Christoph

I did not disconnect both the battery and AC, neither at the same time.

You were right installing from the tarball was easy.

However how does one, bearing in mind I'm running Fedora, make it so I
don't have to manually "modprobe tp_smapi" every time? And also how do I
make my battery charge thresholds permanent between restarts, until I
change them?

Thank-you.

Jon Pritchard