[ltp] LCD Life Expectancy

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:47:31 -0500

--0__=0ABBFC59DFC956618f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBFC59DFC95661

> From: David Woodfall <dave@unrealize.co.uk>
>
> I have a T42 that looks like the backlight has just gone on it. This
> was a used display I bought after the original died. Now I'm
> wondering what the expected life of a display is?

I have an original T42 XGA 14.1" that is at least four years old, in my=

daughter's laptop.  I just replaced the battery again (at least the fou=
rth
since the unit was new in box) and checked out the screen very carefull=
y.
This is a matte finish plate, no idea who made it so no idea about whic=
backlight tube is in it, but the screen and backlight appear as bright =
and
clear as my recently replaced (under warranty) T60p, side to side.

Experience has taught that LCD and backlight longevity are extremely
variable, in other words, one area where YOUR mileage will most certain=
ly
vary.  Having said that, I've replaced a lot of LCD in T40 Series and T=
60
Series ThinkPads over the years, and using a replacement from a US eBay=

dealer with at least 99.5% feedback on thousands of sales has proven to=
 be
extremely reliable (first time doing it, following the HMM from Lenovo,=

expect to take a couple of hours and a bit of head scratchin');  going
after a used lid assembly, even from relatively responsible destructors=
, is
a crap shoot.   Weird part is that the more likely good assemblies will=

cost on average half again to double the cost of the reputable sourced =
LCD.
Good side of the assembly is you can get a near new lid, even a missing=

Bluetooth antenna and plates out of the deal.  And assemblies take a
quarter of the time to replace compared to LCDs (following the HMM).  I=
've
used this approach to upgrade T42 and T43 systems that were missing
Bluetooth or had a damaged lid to match the shattered LCD.

> The T21 I'm using right now seems to be good so far. No idea of it's
> age though it must be getting on a bit.

In general, if you use the ThinkPad mostly on a dock, closed, you can
anticipate five or more years decent LCD performance when you go mobile=
.
The backlight tube is the key factor, not the LCD TFT itself.

> So how long do these things keep going for?

In everyday use, open, figure three to four years.

> Also I noticed the screen had a pink tinge to it on boot. Is this a
> sign of anything about to go?

Yes, your backlight tube is on the backside of its lifecycle slope.
=

--0__=0ABBFC59DFC956618f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBFC59DFC95661

&gt; From: David Woodfall &lt;dave@unrealize.co.uk&gt;</tt><br>
<tt>&gt; <br>
&gt; I have a T42 that looks like the backlight has just gone on it. Th=
is<br>
&gt; was a used display I bought after the original died. Now I'm <br>
&gt; wondering what the expected life of a display is?</tt><br>
<tt>I have an original T42 XGA 14.1&quot; that is at least four years o=
ld, in my daughter's laptop. &nbsp;I just replaced the battery again (a=
t least the fourth since the unit was new in box) and checked out the s=
creen very carefully. &nbsp;This is a matte finish plate, no idea who m=
ade it so no idea about which backlight tube is in it, but the screen a=
nd backlight appear as bright and clear as my recently replaced (under =
warranty) T60p, side to side.</tt><br>
<tt>Experience has taught that LCD and backlight longevity are extremel=
y variable, in other words, one area where YOUR mileage will most certa=
inly vary. &nbsp;Having said that, I've replaced a lot of LCD in T40 Se=
ries and T60 Series ThinkPads over the years, and using a replacement f=
rom a US eBay dealer with at least 99.5% feedback on thousands of sales=
 has proven to be extremely reliable (first time doing it, following th=
e HMM from Lenovo, expect to take a couple of hours and a bit of head s=
cratchin'); &nbsp;going after a used lid assembly, even from relatively=
 responsible destructors, is a crap shoot. &nbsp; Weird part is that th=
e more likely good assemblies will cost on average half again to double=
 the cost of the reputable sourced LCD. &nbsp;Good side of the assembly=
 is you can get a near new lid, even a missing Bluetooth antenna and pl=
ates out of the deal. &nbsp;And assemblies take a quarter of the time t=
o replace compared to LCDs (following the HMM). &nbsp;I've used this ap=
proach to upgrade T42 and T43 systems that were missing Bluetooth or ha=
d a damaged lid to match the shattered LCD.</tt><br>
<tt>&nbsp;<br>
&gt; The T21 I'm using right now seems to be good so far. No idea of it=
's<br>
&gt; age though it must be getting on a bit.<br>
</tt><br>
<tt>In general, if you use the ThinkPad mostly on a dock, closed, you c=
an anticipate five or more years decent LCD performance when you go mob=
ile. &nbsp;The backlight tube is the key factor, not the LCD TFT itself=
.</tt><br>
<tt><br>
&gt; So how long do these things keep going for?<br>
</tt><br>
<tt>&nbsp;<br>
&gt; Also I noticed the screen had a pink tinge to it on boot. Is this =
a<br>
&gt; sign of anything about to go?<br>
</tt><br>
<tt>Yes, your backlight tube is on the backside of its lifecycle slope.=
</tt><br>

--0__=0ABBFC59DFC956618f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBFC59DFC95661--