[ltp] LCD Life Expectancy

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:51:43 +0000

On 14/02/10 04:30, David Woodfall wrote:
> I have a T42 that looks like the backlight has just gone on it. This
> was a used display I bought after the original died. Now I'm wondering
> what the expected life of a display is?
>
> The T21 I'm using right now seems to be good so far. No idea of it's
> age though it must be getting on a bit.
>
> So how long do these things keep going for?
>
> Also I noticed the screen had a pink tinge to it on boot. Is this a
> sign of anything about to go?

Desktop TFTs tend to have cheap, nonstandard, undocumented power
supplies which fail (the bane of my existance- I've got 2 dead TFTs
which could be fixed if someone would just give me the docs for them).

For laptops the most common problem is the connection between the screen
and the graphics card. They wear out a lot from the hinge action. I
recently had to replace the ribbon cable in my T23 because of this. Many
newer laptops have it going through the hinge assembly now- I don't know
how easy those are to replace.

The pink tinge strongly suggests to me that this is your problem.