[ltp] thinkpad stuck on lowest speed [cpufreq, acpi]

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:14:53 +1100

I seem to have struck a strange problem. The clock on my Thinkpad is
stuck at the lowest possible speed. Nothing I do seems to be able to
change the clock rate from its slowest (800000 Hz) speed.

I have tried changing the governor manually, automatically through
cpufreqd, KDE's power-devil all to no avail.

Both the following are stuck on 800000:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

I have tried to manually enter the max frequency into these without any
success.

The machine/OS details are as follows:

Core 2 Duo processor T9600 thinkpad machine (W500).
64 bit Mandriva 2010.

I notice the following running:

hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket /var/run/acpid.socket
/usr/lib64/hal/hald-addon-cpufreq

Killing those processing also has no effect.

Any ideas?