[ltp] freeze on thinkpad x61

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:51:40 -0800

I had that problem with a older machine... It ended up being a loose
solider joint on a memory slot.  It would happen as soon as the cpu
throttle would go below 900mhz.

First make sure the bios isn't controlling the acpi or power settings.
 Load setup defaults in the bios.

if that doesn't work....

Try eliminating hardware.. Pull one stick of ram out and vise versa. etc...

Another thing it could be is a weak power supply. Linux may be asking
to much. (had a old 8000 series dell laptop that would brick and thats
what it ended up being....)

Good luck...

JaY

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Robert Tomsick <robert@tomsick.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 05:57 -0500, francesco tartaglia wrote:
>
>> My problem is hard freeze on thinkpad x61 with linux.
>> I try Debian, fedora 12, Ubuntu 9.10, 8.04 etc
>> but my Thinkpad keep freezing and they are more and more frequent.
>
> This screams "hardware problem" to me.
>
>> Is it a good idea?
>> How Can I remove this modules from BIOS?
>
> Personally, I'd get the machine checked for HW problems ASAP. =C2=A0Tryin=
g to
> work around it like that doesn't seem like a good idea IMHO.
>
> -Rob

--=20
JaY