[ltp] Re: [ibm-acpi-devel] thinkpad-acpi release 0.24-20100220 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 18:17:45 +0000

On 22 February 2010 12:21, Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 February 2010 22:43, Jerone Young <jerone.young@canonical.com> wrot=
e:

>>> Just tired it out on my Thinkpad X301 and it does work. When using the
>>> proc interface if I echo mute .. it mutes the speakers .. and I see the
>>> orange light come on. When unmute orange light goes out and it unmutes
>>> the speakers.
>>
>> To add more .. did some experimenting. I found something interesting. So
>> if acpi_osi=3DLinux is passed on the kernel command line (this is done i=
>> the kernel for T61 & T400 & T500) .. but when I do this. The proc
>> interface doesn't actually work anymore. It will light up the mute
>> button light though on my X301 & turn it off. But no effect to the
>> volume.
>>
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Thanks,
>>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Jerone
>

> The T400 thing was requested by me because of stupid userspace tools.
> I guess that now it is not necessary?
> I'm going to compile and test the kernel without the acpi_osi=3DLinux
> and see what happens.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

The whole mess about the acpi_osi=3DLinux is because userspace tools
always do a volume up / volume down, even when the volume is muted.
The result is that the volume goes up / down and unmuted at the same
time which is annoying.

I think the problem is that the mute key in the newer thinkpads (well,
at least in the T400 for sure) is not sending an acpi event. So using
acpi_listen, muting with the mute key and unmuting with the volume
keys I get this:

button/volumeup VOLUP 00000080 00000000
button/volumeup VOLUP 00000080 00000000
button/volumeup VOLUP 00000080 00000000
button/volumedown VOLDN 00000080 00000000
button/volumedown VOLDN 00000080 00000000

In between each volume up/down there was a mute which didn't get reported.

Henrique, do you think that it is possible to have an acpi event with
the mute key? This way we could (probably) safely drop ALL the
acpi_osi=3DLinux blacklisted models - R61, T61, X61, T400 and T500 and
would stop having to add new models to the blacklist base
(drivers/acpi/blacklist.c)

I tried to get the ALSA card working with
modprobe thinkpad-acpi volume_control=3D1 volume_capabilities=3D1
as well as the default parameters but the volume up/down does not
work. The proc interface also only works for mute.

Is it only for older models which also have volume up/down in hardware
or for newer models also? What is the purpose of it? (please don't get
me wrong, im just asking!)

Regards,
Pedro