[ltp] Re: Which distro for ThinkPad T400s

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:19:15 -0500

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 05:49:45PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:

> Why would one use a 32-bit distro?
>
> I know that 32-bit distros are more memory-efficient if you have <
> 4GB, (because of smaller pointers), but doesn't that mean you are
> giving up on all the native advantages of 64-bit CPUs vs an i586,
> notably the extra registers?

I've also found that flash running under 64-bit firefox seems to crash
a *lot* more after I upgraded to 64-bits.  I haven't had a chance to
debug this more thoroughly, but it's *majorly* annoying.  On my todo
list is to install a 32-bit firefox to see if things get better.

     	   	     	    	       	   - Ted