[ltp] Re: Which distro for ThinkPad T400s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:00:06 +0100

Richard Neill schrieb am 25.02.2010 18:49:

> Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Petar Milin schrieb am 25.02.2010 16:53:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> I am now in doubt which distro to use for my T400s: Debian testing
>>> (amd64 net-install) or Ubuntu 9.10? Which one suits this T-version?
>>
>> I'd go for Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) since I abandoned Debian about six
>> years ago. Others will tell you to go for Debian (or even other
>> distributions) ... It depends on your needs and preferences.
>
> Why would one use a 32-bit distro?
>
> I know that 32-bit distros are more memory-efficient if you have < 4GB,
> (because of smaller pointers), but doesn't that mean you are giving up
> on all the native advantages of 64-bit CPUs vs an i586, notably the
> extra registers?

AFAICS 64-bit distros don't run as smoothly as 32-bit distros do.
See also Ted's posting. YMMV. And to be honest I don't know whether
I'd take any noticeable advantage from extra registers. I have
installed 4 GB of RAM in my X200s running a 32-bit kernel with PAE.
I just told Petar for which distro *I* would go.

Best
Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln (1.7): http://zvisionwelt.de/?page_id=56