[ltp] Xubuntu vs Ubuntu

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:46:05 +0100

Am Freitag, 26. Februar 2010 13:31:17 schrieb Robert Tomsick:
> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 10:56 +0000, Simon Royal wrote:
> > I am a big fan of Ubuntu. It got me really interested in Linux and
> > gave me the push to leave Mac and Windows behind. I had Ubuntu 9.10
> > running on a Samsung A10 1.1Ghz Duron and loved it, then the laptop
> > died. I then was given an IBM ThinkPad 600 and after running a few '
> > lightweight' distros have been quite impressed with Xubuntu 9.10 on
> > it.
>
> [...]
>
> > Ultimately my question is, would Ubuntu run better than Xubuntu? I am
> > trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of this beast.
>
> If performance is your primary concern, you may want to consider
> something other than Ubuntu and its direct derivatives (such as
> Kubuntu/Xubuntu).  Ubuntu is a quite a 'heavy' distro out-of-the-box,
> and while it's possible to slim it down with some judicious package
> management and a bit of tweaking, you might be better off just choosing
> something like Debian and adding the packages that you need on top of a
> minimal install.
>
> -Rob

I agree, ubuntu might try to advance to netbooks etc with their remixes but
after all alot of custom ubuntu tools perform very badly, netbook-launcher for
example always hogs my cpu until I kill it.
Try ArchLinux if you want a lean system, it takes abit getting used to but you
always have the most recent software and only the software you really wanted.

Karsten