[ltp] Xubuntu vs Ubuntu

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:43:45 +0100

--nextPart2354605.JhIAZV8mIa

That amount of RAM we're talking about is your primary concern. Running any=
=20
official Ubuntu version (including Xubuntu) on 256 MB borders self-flagella=
tion.=20
You have no idea how slow it is until you install something less demanding.=
 I=20
had trouble with swapping in Ubuntu 8.04 on my 512 MB T23 and it just keeps=
 on=20
growing with every release. Xubuntu loads many of Ubuntu's services at star=
tup=20
and there is nothing lightweight about it. That's the main reason Lubuntu i=
s=20
being developed. Lubuntu was vaporware until recently, and now it's in Alph=
a=20
intended release in for April. I'm looking forward to see it in action.

If you want XFCE get debian testing. I like Debian because it offers good=20
balance between automatic tools and user control (for me at least). After y=
ou=20
have base system install the desktop and only those apps for it you actuall=
y=20
need. Debian doesn't run nearly as many services as Ubuntu by default so yo=
u=20
should be fine. Also consider using only one of the lightweight browsers=20
(Midori is in XFCE by default).

=2D-=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl