[ltp] R40 gets hot

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:15:40 +1300

Not specifically a Linux query**, but a Thinkpad one...

(** Except Googling on 'R40 gets hot' leads me to a discussion on Ubuntu
Forums that seems to indicate it might be a feature of some Linux
installations)

My R40 (which just happens to be running Debian Lenny dual-boot with WinXP)
gets quite hot when sitting on my lap, especially towards the left rear
corner (roughly under the letter 'S' on the keyboard).   Almost too hot to
sit on my leg.    Is this normal?   Is this where the CPU is?     I see some
ventilation slots around this area, is it a bad thing to block them off by
having it resting on my leg?

(I've just installed 'computertemp' and it's indicating 59C for the CPU and
51C for the hard drive).

I've checked the Gnome 'Services Settings' box and it 'Power Management' acpid
and apmd are both ticked.

cr