[ltp] CPU temperature a t 80°C and above , despite fan running at maximum speed (Thinkpad Z61m)

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:46:15 -0200

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Johannes Bittner wrote:
> My CPU reaches temperatures of more than 80°C, despite my fan running

1. Clean the fan

If it doesn't fix it:

2. Repair the thermal interfaces between the thermal sink and the chips, and
while at it, wherever a thermal pad is not required, use Arctic Silver 5 or
another A+, high viscosity, high aderence thermal compound.  They are a pain
to apply right, but if whatever the factory used did break, it means the easy
stuff with low viscosity won't last.

While at it, make sure the operating system IS idling your CPU properly, as
that can mitigate the problem.  powertop can help you there.

  Henrique Holschuh