[ltp] Video switching on the text console (X200s)

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:57:11 +0100

Hi there,

sadly, I am quite at a loss as to how I am supposed (or at least able)
to switch between lcd and crt output on my X200s when working on the
text console. Here are some observations reproducible on kernel versions
2.6.31.9 and 2.6.32.2:

1. By default (modules thinkpad_acpi, i915, video, output loaded),
   output is presented on the internal panel as well as an external
   display simultaneously if connected. Nonetheless, the only entry in
   /sys/class/video_output/ is acpi_video0.
2. If i915 is not loaded, an external monitor connected to the thinkpad
   does not get a signal.

In either case, commands like
# echo lcd_disable,crt_enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/video
don't seem to have any effect, whatsoever. Even specifying
acpi_display_output=vendor on the kernel command line doesn't help.

Surely, some of you will know how things are *supposed* to work out and
can perhaps even help finding out what the problem is.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Elias