[ltp] Re: Video switching on the text console (X200s)

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:25:34 +0100

On 21/01/2010 17:12, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wrote:
>> On 21/01/2010 15:57, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
>>> Surely, some of you will know how things are *supposed* to work out and
>>> can perhaps even help finding out what the problem is.
>>>

>> I can't really help you but I think it would help if you told us if you
>> use KMS (Kernel modesetting).
>
> Admittedly, I don't know the first thing about KMS. The very little
> reading I have done right now make me wonder, though, whether this is
> really relevant since no X server is running on my system in general.

Well, the point is that with KMS on, everything modeset related is
managed in kernel, and not by a userland driver (be it the X one). So
basically, it does improve the situation for console people too (for
example, having a 1400x1050 console is really nice). But I don't really
know how to manage multi-monitor from console, tbh.

> Still, here is what I can tell you:
>
> root@denkblock:~# grep KMS /boot/config-2.6.31.9
> CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y
> root@denkblock:~# cat /sys/module/i915/parameters/modeset
> -1
> root@denkblock:~#
>
> Do I have to recompile with CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMSCONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS
> disabled? If you think it is relevant and if you have one or two links
> start from, I can do some reading up on KMS.

I think you don't use it. Could you paste your /proc/fb?

Here (with KMS on) it returns:
cat /proc/fb
0 inteldrmfb

--