[ltp] after updating xserver-xorg-video-intel can not change back to virtual terminals

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:44:26 +0100

Peter Germer <germerp@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using Debian Squeeze with 2.6.30 on my X60s and after yesterday's
> update I recognized that I can not switch back to terminals. When I hit
> CTRL-ALT-F1 (or any other than F7) the cursor disappears, but the screen
> doesn't change and I can still see the graphical screen. Although I can n=
ot
> see anything I can login blindly and use the terminal. When I changed my
> xorg.conf to use vesa driver I was able to change through terminals. When=
> press CTRL-ALT-F7 I get the cursor back to my X. Does anyone have the same
> issue or know how to fix it (if it is possible without downgrade)?

This is because the new xserver-xorg-video-intel enables KMS by default
(by including /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf), and you are probably using
the vesafb driver for the console. Do a  "dmesg|grep -E 'fb|drm'" to
verify.

The vesafb usage may be unintentionally like it was for me, by having a
vga=xxx option on the kernel command line.  If so, then remove it from
/boot/grub/menu.lst (or grub.cfg or /etc/lilo.conf or whatever), rerun
update-grub and be set.

You'll notice that you get the standard 80x24 console until X is started
and first then a nice native resolution console.  If you want the native
resolution console from the start, then add something like
"video=i915:modeset=1" to the kernel command line and rerun "update-grub"
and "update-initramfs -u -k `uname -r`".

See also http://bugs.debian.org/564318

Bjørn