[ltp] OT - Linux Thinkcentre...

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:53:25 -0700

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:04:36 +1200
zed <zed@zed.net.nz> dijo:

>Is there anyone on the list who can point me to a similar list for
>users of the IBM Thinkcentre, please. I have searched Google without
>success.
>
>I have an elderly friend using one of these machines and I've just
>installed LinuxMint for her.  She was using WindowsXP and the machine
>was taking nigh on 4 minutes to boot.  Mint was installed in the hope
>that this would cure the problem.  Alas! it is still a four minute
>boot time.
>
>I don't know the model number but it is 1.7GHz with IGB RAM.

I don't know of a Thinkcentre list, but something sounds wrong here.

I would suggest interrupting the boot process at the point Grub is
edit it by using a text editor to open /boot/grub/menu.lst.
Specifically, you want to remove "quiet" from the boot line. (I think
this is all you have to do, but it's been a long time since I messed
with Grub.) The goal is to make the boot process stream the text
messages of what is going on instead of just giving you a GUI progress
bar. I'll bet there are one or more processes that are hanging and then
erroring out.