[ltp] Weird CPU fan problem on T400, any help appreciated.

Daniel Skorka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:54:10 +0800

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:55:23 -0500
Mark Altern <mark.altern@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now after I did a clean install of 10.04, I found the BIOS doesn't do
> it correctly: since the start-up cpu fan speed is about 1886rmp
> (normal), when the cpu temp goes to 55c, it cramp up to 2700rmp, then
> after that even the cpu have been idle for a long while and temp drop
> to 37c, the fan wouldn't slow down, but keep running at that high
> speed.

This is just a shot in the dark, since I don't know this series.
On some older Thinkpads, like my T43, the CPU fan would also keep
running even though the CPU wasn't really hot, and the culprit seems to
be anpther part that gets hot and is supposed to be cooled by the same
fan. Of course, that doesn't really explain why it only started to
happen now.

Daniel