[ltp] High Speed USB problems

U Kuehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:16:13 +0200

Hi,

On 19.07.2010 18:36, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> My system recently started endlessly spewing the follow error in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Jul 17 16:44:01 odysseus kernel: [ 2445.088449] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
>
> Googling, all I find is a kernel bug from several years ago.  "rmmod ehci-hcd"
> stops the error messages and stops high speed USB devices like an external
> hard disk from working.  The USB mouse and printer work.  But no hard disk for
> backups is not a happy, long term solution.
>
> OpenSuSE 11.3, IBM Thinkpad T41.
>
> IIRC, the system was not updated nor any apparently relevant changes made at
> or immediately before the error messages started.  I think the laptop was
> sitting at home while I was running errands.

Do you observe high speed usb also not working under windows (warning
like "high speed usb device connected to low speed port" or something
similar)? If so, it might be hardware-related.

I had the a similar problem, also only from time to time. I read
somewhere that it indicates a dying south-bridge :( In the end, I had
the mainboard replaced because sound device vanished from the system and
in the end, it could not access the hard disk anymore. By that time,
luckily, the warranty was still valid...

I wish you the best,
Ulrich