[ltp] High Speed USB problems

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:13:05 -0500

Quoting Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as>:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 02:33:46PM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Quoting U Kuehn <ukuehn@acm.org>:
> > > Do you observe high speed usb also not working under windows (warning
> > > like "high speed usb device connected to low speed port" or something
> > > similar)? If so, it might be hardware-related.
> > >
> > > I had the a similar problem, also only from time to time. I read
> > > somewhere that it indicates a dying south-bridge :( In the end, I had
> > > the mainboard replaced because sound device vanished from the system and
> > > in the end, it could not access the hard disk anymore. By that time,
> > > luckily, the warranty was still valid...
> >
> > Thank you for jogging my brain, I'll try booting into Windows when I am home
> > where all the USB devices are.
>
> Also, read this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_USB_2.0
>
> I had a T42 with this problem.  It died completely a few months after the
> warranty expired.

This sounds very much like my problem, except the USB hard drive does not work
properly at all.  Replacing the main board probably doesn't make sense for a 6
year old laptop unless I can cannabilize a known good one from some other
laptop.

I'm going to miss it, I like my T41.  Plus the hassle of picking a replacement
and moving the files and setting up a new computer.

Thanks,
  Jeffrey