[ltp] High Speed USB problems

bhaskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:50:28 -0400

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> Quoting Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as>:

>>> Thank you for jogging my brain, I'll try booting into Windows when I am home
>>> where all the USB devices are.
>>>
>> Also, read this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_USB_2.0
>>
>> I had a T42 with this problem.  It died completely a few months after the
>> warranty expired.
>>

> This sounds very much like my problem, except the USB hard drive does not work
> properly at all.  Replacing the main board probably doesn't make sense for a 6
> year old laptop unless I can cannabilize a known good one from some other
> laptop.
>
> I'm going to miss it, I like my T41.  Plus the hassle of picking a replacement
> and moving the files and setting up a new computer.

Why not try a PCMCIA USB2 adapter?
I have several including one that also has a FireWire port which I use for
HD video capture.
IMHO most of the new laptops are 36, ( or less ), month POS wonders.
Long story but I've been "sucked into" finding why over six of these died
since the first of the year and all of them have internal shorts on the
mother
board, most likely a "tin whisker" problem.
Personally, I'm sticking to my A31s as they just keep going and going
without
even the slightest glitch.
I sold one of my A31s to a neighbor and it even survived bouncing around in
the cabin of her SUV during a rollover.
The SUV was totaled, but the Thinkpad just needed a DVD drive replacement.
They don't build em like they used to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course, part of this is that I !!! hate !!!! ~!@#$ touchpads, ( I
play guitar ), and it is hard to find a nice new LT with a Trackpoint or
trackball