[ltp] Weird CPU fan problem on T400, any help appreciated.

Mark Altern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:50:17 -0500

Update of the problem:
After I update my linux kernel to 2.6.32-24-generic #38-Ubuntu, the
fan start working properly, controlled by BIOS and acpi, for a week
now, meaning fan speed goes up and down according thermal temps.

Today, I suddenly heard the fan kick in again from 1830rmp to 2730rmp,
while I was watching flash. Then I experiment with it again: keep
watching flash, for 30min, (the flash has to last for a while,
sometimes 20min, some times 30min, sometimes 45min), then you will
find the fan stuck in a high speed even after you close all programs
and cpu temp drops to 35C!

This seems to be the way to replicate the problems: keep watching
flash for a while, the flash will start speed up and stuck there,
until you REBOOT, things come back to normal again.

Damn flash, I have always hated them, but all websites rely so much on
them (emails, banks)!